Retour à la liste

The Church of Saint-Germain l'Auxerrois

3 place du Général de Gaulle
91410 Dourdan

Latitude : 48.529292 / Longitude : 2.01146

01 64 59 86 97
A gothic style building of the 12th and 13th centuries redesigned throughout History. It is an impressive church of 50 meter long, 18 meter large, including a 50 meter high arrow.


Dedicated to Saint-Germain d’Auxerre, the beginning of the construction of this beautiful gothic church took place at the beginning of the 13th century. Throughout the Hundred Years War, the church was damaged during the siege of 1428 by the English from Salisbury. Rebuilt and completed with lateral chapels, it suffered ransacking again during the Religious Wars: the roofs were burned, the stained-glass windows and the bell towers’ arrows were destroyed, and the bells were melted to use them as cannonballs…
It was refurbished and enlarged in the 17th century with the Virgin’s chapel forming the church’s apse. During the French Revolution, the edifice was closed and plundered. Confiscated as a national property, it became a “Temple of the victorious Reason” and then was used as a jail. In 1795, the church regained its worship place function at the insistent request of the inhabitants. In the 19th century, the edifice was bad maintained and threatened to crumble. The restoration was carried out in less than ten years.

Informations pratiques


Every day throughout the year between 9 am and 6 pm.
Closed on Monday.


Free access.


Visites individuelles

Unguided individual tours available permanently
Guided individual tours on request

Visites groupées

Unguided group tours available permanently
Guided group tours on request




Parking nearby