Michel Jacques Lévy, councilor of the King and bailiff of Dourdan, undertook the building of the château du Parterre in 1725. This beautiful dwelling was bought by Madame de Verteillac, the wife of the governor of Dourdan, in 1739. As many great ladies of the 18th century, she had a valued literary and philosophical salon. The Parterre was often to the population of Dourdan on the occasion of public celebrations. In 1793, the Parterre became a public property and the buildings were turned into barracks. In 1809, the heirs of Verteillac sold it to the town, which became the only owner of the castle in 1863.